- Job Ref:
- Tallgrass Creek by Erickson Senior Living, 13800 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS 66223
- Resident Services
Location:Tallgrass Creek by Erickson Senior Living
Tallgrass Creek is a beautiful 65-acre continuing care retirement community located in Overland Park, just minutes from Kansas City and the Kansas and Missouri border. We’re part of a growing network of communities managed and developed by Erickson Senior Living, a national provider of senior living and health care with campuses in 11 states—and growing.
The Program Assistant will stimulate the physical, intellectual, social, spiritual, and emotional well-being of the residents residing in Continuing Care. Discusses with the Programming team the resident’s needs/desires related to purposeful engagement and providing therapeutic and recreational activities to meet the daily needs and interests of the residents.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience $16.00 - $18.00 per hour.
Part-Time Schedule: (Sunday - Thursday) 4:00 PM-8:00 PM
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Uses independent judgment to facilitate various structured and impromptu programs for individuals and groups in the common areas and resident rooms of the Continuing Care Community.
2. Escorts and ensures the safety of the residents on group trips and excursions.
3. Works collaboratively with other team members, management, community groups, volunteers, and families to deliver programs and activities designed to enhance the resident experience.
4. Routinely monitors changes in the resident’s needs, abilities, and preferences to provide programs and activities that are beneficial, purposeful, and enjoyable for individuals and group audiences. Any noted changes are communicated to the Programming Manager.
5. Provides input to program supply lists, maintains supply levels, and ensures safe operation and functionality of the equipment.
6. Participates in team discussions regarding resident programming, schedules, trips, special events, staff scheduling, and resident issues.
7. Prepares various activity programs according to the schedule and guidance by the Program Manager.
8. Leads group and individual activities both structured, guided and impromptu in activity spaces, common areas, and resident’s rooms.
9. Sets up activity equipment such as tables, instruments, electronics, etc.
10. Motivates and assists participants during activities/programs.
11. A flexible work schedule including weekends and evenings as determined by the Programming Manager is required.
12. Maintains Erickson Senior Living’s philosophy and “Vision” statement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
· Understanding of the dementia process. (if no previous dementia experience or education, training will be offered upon hire)
· Demonstrate good judgment, think independently, and be self-motivated, organized, flexible, and dependable.
· Good communication and listening skills.
· Demonstrate a willingness to learn ·Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and multitask.
· Exceptional customer service skills.
· Strong creativity and socialization skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- One year working as an Activities Assistant in a licensed health care facility or related experience through college coursework and internship exposure is preferred.
- Experience leading groups of people with varying levels of physical and cognitive independence is preferred.
- Flexible work schedule including weekend and evenings is required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to read, write and communicate in the English language.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS: N/A
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Must be able to lift 50 lbs. from floor to waist. Able to transport a resident in a wheelchair. Able to walk for long distances or periods of time, pushing weights up to 250 lbs. Able to kneel, bend from the waist to floor, stoop, twist torso laterally in all directions, and grasp small and large objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Resident programs are conducted in a variety of settings including residents’ private rooms, common areas in the community building, patios and other outside areas, resident shuttle buses, and outside venues such as parks, arenas, theaters, and restaurants.
- Programming assistants will be exposed to seasonal weather changes.
- Frequent exposure to residents, families, and visitors in a healthcare setting.
- Erickson Living Communities operate on a 24/7 schedule. Therefore, an employee may be required to work additional hours or a varied schedule due to inclement weather or other emergencies.
- Communicate to the Programming Manager when supplies for resident activities are low.
- Follow resident schedules as posted, unless resident preference dictates differently at the moment.
FORMAL POLICY-SETTING RESPONSIBILITIES: No formal responsibility
This position may require protecting and safeguarding confidential information.
Erickson Senior Living, its affiliates, and managed communities are Equal Opportunity Employers and are committed to providing a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.